Sarah Mayland

Newly Finished…

In Knitting/Crocheting, Patterns on 01/11/2011 at 19:24

Yes I know I have made futile promises in regards to new patterns, new items for my ETSY shop, and tutorials, and alas, I suck because I am prepared with none of the above.  But I have finished a couple things that I wanted to get out of the way before I started school yesterday.

I signed up for 4 classes this semester — 2 online and 2 traditional, and was surprised to find out that one of my online classes is an 8-week accelerated course, so be prepared to hear (or more appropriately, see) very little from me for a while (or at least for the next week until I get my Ritalin and can get my horrible ADD under control).

But, before this mayhem began, I managed to finish a sweater (in 5 days!) and make a dinosaur hat that had been promised to one of my friends for about 3 months. 

The sweater was the Leyfi Pullover designed by Romi Hill, Interweave Knits Fall 2010.  I LOVE this sweater, and chose to do  mine in black and white rather than green and white (actually it was my husband’s choice — he thinks I look great in black).  The yarn I used was Nashua Creative Focus, which I think is a really nice wool, and then used a standard cotton crochet thread doubled with it. 

Leyfi Pullover

Please excuse the ridiculously horrible photo quality, as one of my friends took this picture with her iPhone.  My one complaint about my choice of color combo is that it’s really difficult to see the lace pattern — and the lace pattern is gorgeous.  I think I will definitely make this again.  It was an easy, quick project, and quite a pleasure to make.

 
My second adventure was to make a dinosaur hat for my friend that works at the store next-door to mine at the mall.  For the hat base, I used my Ridiculously Easy Beanie pattern (as I always do for hat bases…because it’s so ridiculously easy).  For the spikes on top of the head, I knit a diamond shape, casting on 3 sts, increasing 2 sts every other row by picking up a loop from the row below it until I had 15 sts, and then decreasing 2 sts every other row and binding off when I had 3 sts again.  The were worked in stockinette stitch, so every knit row was increased or decreased and the wrong-side rows were purled.  I sewed the middle of the spike down flat against the hat base, and then folded the sides of the spike up and sewed them together.  I think it turned out really well, and my friend certainly liked it.
 
I will get more fun stuff up here for everyone to do as soon as I can.  I really want to open my ETSY  store ASAP, and I’m still throwing around a lot of ideas for what exactly is going to be in there.  Wish me luck.  In the meantime, I wish you all happy crafting and I will be back soon.  Time to study!!
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: